Thursday, July 5, 2012

Ten signs you’re in house at a tech/start up


I love top 10 lists.  I’m a big ol’ sucker for them.  They’re often informative and entertaining.  Not to mention quick to read and digest – so fits right into my schedule.  One of my latest favorites is one done by Susan Moon over at Above the Law, “You know you work in house when…” .  It was all the more funny because I related to each and every one of them.  I was a pregnant nun for my first Halloween at Volusion, (and still didn’t win the costume contest, my 80’s ‘back to school’ costume was a winner though!)  I have used “that’s a business decision” more than once today alone, and I know for a fact there is no one more evil than our competitors. 

As much as I loved this list, it was a little incomplete for me.  I’ve spent most of my career working for technology companies.  Half of that time I’ve been working for or with internet companies just out of startup mode.  And that’s definitely a different world.  So here’s a supplemental list for those of us who took that chance on a new(ish) tech company.

1.       At least one department is nicknamed the “cave” or “dungeon” because its employees refuse to turn on the lights, preferring to work by glow of the monitor like they did in their mother’s basement.

2.       Shoes are optional. Shorts and t-shirts are acceptable office wear.

3.       Wearing anything resembling a suit will get you multiple questions of where you’re interviewing that day and if your boss knows.

4.       Contracts?  We don’t need no stinking contracts…

5.       Going to the break room often entails dodging Nerf gun fire.  And the CTO is usually the best shot.

6.       The only way to get guaranteed attendance at a meeting is to provide food AND beer.

7.       The employees refer to you as “mom” or “dad”, regardless of the fact that they’re older or the same age as you.  “Mom’s not going to like that!” “I don’t know if that’s how we should do it, let’s ask Mom”… 

8.       “Do more with less” is not just a motto, it’s a competitive sport.  MacGyver has nothing on these guys.

9.       You get asked about the limits of workman’s comp with regards to “meetings” offsite, where go-cart accidents “may” have injured the new VP. 

10.   You were in college when your founder was in diapers, and he was probably smarter than you then too.  

What would you add?

No comments:

Post a Comment