Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Goals - a year in review

At the beginning of the year I put out my goals for all to see in my New Year's post.  So now it's time to pay the piper and see how I did.  I had a couple of professional goals, one to strengthen my existing network.  Once again my network has come through for me when I really needed it and helped me land my newest gig, for which I am extremely grateful - it's an awesome job at a great company with a great team!  Thank you Amy!  But did I do what I could to help my network?  I made introductions as often as I could and referrals to very qualified folks - both public and private.  I supported a few friends in their political endeavors - if you're an AZ resident vote Christine Jones for governor and Tempe/east valley residents should definitely choose Kari Jill Granville-Minton for their newest University Lakes JP. (Both are incredibly intelligent and talented women with a lot of integrity and Arizona's best interests at heart.)  So I guess that one is still a work in progress, though it's better this year than it was last and I guess that's all you could ask for.

I also committed to becoming acquainted with a new area of the law.  I didn't take the courses I thought I would when I wrote that goal, but I have updated my knowledge in the areas surrounding payments as a part of my new job.  Still have a lot of learning to do, but I'm on my way.  Mark another one as a work in progress.

On the personal front I had two goals as well.  To spend more quality time with my family if not more quantity and to spend more "me" time without the guilt.  I took the summer off and got to spend an amazing amount of time with the boys.  I played games I've never heard of, supported them during their growing pains and got to know each of them just a bit better.  Since going back to work, I feel like we still have that strong bond that we forged over the summer and our time together is definitely more quality than before.  While this will be an on going goal for me for the rest of their lives, I think we've got the recipe down for now.

I still struggle with the "me" time without guilt, but have gotten a lot better at the "we" time without guilt.  We now make it a point to go out at least once a month without the kids.  We go to a movie or dinner or just shopping in peace.  We talk about goals, interests, or just general adult conversation that doesn't revolve around the kids.  I think this has brought us closer this year and strengthened our marriage. I'll get to the me time this year.  It may be easier to do now that I feel more secure in the relationships I have at home.

I know it's New Year's Eve and I should have my 2014 goals all in order.  But honestly, 2013 had so many ups and downs that I'm not sure where to start.  I'll need to think about it a bit more.  For now I'm happy to have survived 2013 and come out better for it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment